Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Brinley's new Pink accessory

We made another trip to Provo this weekend and stayed with Nate's sister again. This time we came home with a broken arm. Brinley was getting off the trampoline and missed the chair they use to get on and off. Nate and I weren't there at the time and his sister called to tell us that she had hurt her arm. We hurried back, and she was still crying. Cindy told us that she thought it was broken, but Nate kept telling her that she doesn't have a very high pain tolerance (which she really doesn't). We gave her some medicine and about 20 minutes later, she was out playing on the trampoline again. So we thought that she was fine. Well later that night, she went to use her wrist and she screamed in pain. But she really didn't cry much after that so I thought maybe it was just sprained. She wouldn't use it to do anything, so Monday morning I decided to take her into the doctor. While we were walking in, she showed me that she could bend it just fine. So I thought that this was going to be a waste of a doctors appointment and they were going to think I was this over-protective parent that brings my child in for anything and everything. (I know a few of those from working at the clinic). Halle was having a harder time with Brinley going to the doctor then she was. Halle had been crying about it all morning and wondering what was going to happen to Brinley's arm. Well the doctor looked at it and he told us that we needed to x-ray it, but he thought it was broken just from looking at it. So we x-rayed it and sure enough it was broken. Obviously, from the pictures she was very upset and DID NOT want a cast. She was trying to get down when he came in to put the cast on. My mom was her nurse and she couldn't even calm her down very much. I would be scared to see how much worse she would of been if my mom wasn't the one helping put it on. She did not like the doctor after that, but she still LOVES her grandma!


Brinley getting her cast put on. (Dr. Matthews, my mom and Brinley)

Brinley crying about getting a cast

Nate trying to console her about getting a cool PINK cast.


Here she is a little happier about having a cast.


Showing off her pink cast

Brinley and Halle





Halle is loving giving Brinley lots of help and attention. She loves it that Brinley can't do everything and that she actually gets to help her out a little.


Brinley was so upset and it was very hard to get her calmed down. She wasn't crying because she was in pain, we found out afterwards. I asked her if she was excited to show everyone her new cast at school. She started crying and said that she didn't want to go back to school because no one else would have one on their arm. You see, Brinley doesn't like any special attention at school and she hates to be any different from anyone.


Nate also hurt his toe last time we were in Provo and it had been bothering him so they took an x-ray of it as well. I had been telling him that he was fine and that nothing was wrong. Come to find out, he had a broken toe and if it would of been broken a few millimeters higher on his toe, then he would of been in a cast as well. He kept asking me if I felt bad that I was telling him that he was just fine, no I didn't feel too bad I just thought that he wanted me to give him a little more attention.

5 comments:

Tristan said...

I am so sorry that you broke your arn! That is awful! I will see you soon!

Andrea said...

Hi, Angie! It's good to hear from you. Your pictures of Brinley are so sad. I am glad that she is feeling better about it. I'll be in Brigham in a couple of weeks. It would be fun to see you and and catch up. You have a cute family. I love your little girls bob hair cuts!

Kristi said...

That is so sad about her arm! I just told BJ a few nights ago that I bet before the summer is over we end up in the er with a broken arm and I predict Jace. I will look out and there will be 7 or so kids on our tamp at one time, and Jace is right there with them. Tell Brinley she looks cute with a pink arm!!
ps. you better be coming in October!!

Lindsay Spencer said...

OH poor Nate. Does he need a bandaide for his heart? hehe. I hope Brinley had a good day at school. I bet she was pretty popular with that cast.

UteFamily said...

Love the cast! When I was little I always wanted to break my arm so I could wear a cool cast and have all my friends sign it... it never happened, but a kid can dream, right? Haha. I'm sorry about the arm Brinley!